Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Marty Hoag <Marty.Hoag () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:34:16 -0600

Gene Spafford wrote:

Curmudgeon mode on:

As to the second point, if we simply start blocking any executable
content attachments, we will do a lot to stop these kinds of things
(not to mention recover disk space and bandwidth, cut down on
trojans, and reduce the number of pranks users play play on each
other).  I block  .(com|cmd|exe|pif|scr|bat) files on general
principle.  I also bounce .doc files, and I am now bouncing .zip
archives.   This has never caused me any real difficulty in
collaboration with others.     If anything, it has cut down on the
junk people simply mail because it is easy.   Sending around 50K
files for a 3 line memo is a waste of resources.

Gene and others:

   I am interested in how your campus went about this. Was the
blocking instituted unilaterally by some central IT organization?
Or was there some local process you went through to explain why
the blocking was needed and to gain consensus on what should be
blocked? Is there a University policy specifically supporting
this or just one which gives your group responsibility for
protecting the local network? Or is this being done on a
smaller subset of the University network?
   I certainly agree the blocking is a good thing but am
wondering about the way folks go about this (as an example).

   Thanks!

   Marty