Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:16:21 -0500

Tim Lane wrote:

Hi All,

just as a topic of interest for academic discussion, does anyone have a
viewpoint on the potential likely future of the impacts of worms and
viruses etc on the future of the Internet and its use?  As an example, I
consider future scenarios could potentially be:

I think the radio spectrum might be a useful analogy for study.
In particular, in reply to the automobile licensing comments, the FCC
gave up licensing CB radio in the face of the sheer bulk of unlicensed
radios going onair. In my darker hours, I suspect the Internet is become
the CB radio of the decade...

--
--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com

  "How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a
book!" --Henry David Thoreau (1817-62)