Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:15:02 -0500

Ok, a prediction:  The Internet will not degrade into chaos or
anarchy, but may evolve to a mode where (in a macro sense, no implied
reference to any specific protocol or signing technology) only
authentic traffic is deemed acceptable by most participants.
"Authentic" being some form of traceable authorship, with some form of
accountability.

This is not a technological problem - needing better filters, but a
case of generally mistaking anonymity for freedom in one medium
(Internet), when we don't do so as readily in other venues.  Freedom
is a right, anonymity is merely a status.  The right may be assured
without absolute dependence on a specific status.

Once anonymous activity has few destinations, it seems logical that it
would diminish or cease altogether.  If no one answered spammers,
they'd stop.  If all email were signed by default, and recipients
expected same, spam would be impossible as we know it today.  You may
receive ads, but could accurately identify the source and hold them to
whatever policies were in effect.

The current mode of anonymous packets and messages, accepted carte
blanche, seems conducive to a semi-anarchic state where the esclating
ground war you describe remains possible.  "...we need bigger guns
than they have."

Considering an analogy, most states (?) do require one to
register/license to operate a vehicle on public roadways.  Society has
chosen not to tolerate the risk posed by untraceable persons operating
potentially dangerous vehicles in whatever manner they may choose.  An
unlicensed vehicle is eventually removed from action.  Though
registration removes full anonymity, it could be argued that if
properly constituted it can be done without violation of our rights to
reasonable privacy.  It does attempt to enable assignment of
accountability for harmful acts (e.g. auto "accidents", liability for
harm caused to others).

It's basically about one's obligation to the society in which one
lives, and society ensuring the [necessary?!] inability to evade its
notice if/when one does harm to others.

Tim Lane wrote:

Hi All,

just as a topic of interest for academic discussion, does anyone have a
viewpoint on the potential likely future of the impacts of worms and
viruses etc on the future of the Internet and its use?  As an example, I
consider future scenarios could potentially be:

1) A continual and escalating situation of attack and defend (as is the
case now);
2) An future implementation of technology that largely mitigates the
seriousness of attacks rendering them of little concern;
3) A substantial and slow degredation of the Internet such that it becomes
largely unusable;
4) A sudden enormous impact on the Internet that forces an almost total
rebuild/re architecturing.

If anyone has any thoughts I would be interested.  I am sure someone out
there is involved in the development of a more robust Internet and is aware
of likely future scenarios.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

Ph:  61 2 6620 3290
Fax: 61 2 6620 3033
Email: tlane () scu edu au
http://www.scu.edu.au
Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

--

  Gary Dobbins, CISSP -- dobbins () nd edu
  Director, Information Security