Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: Jenny Gluck <jsgluck () SYR EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:46:38 -0500

- We had to limit our special case characters, because one or more of the active systems (e.g. operating systems,
applications, and databases) would not allow those specific special characters as part of their password.

- We also discovered some systems would not handle the longer password length, which forced us to set the 8 character
limit.

- We are basically deploying password synchronization across our systems.

Jenny

Jenny S. Gluck
Director, Network and System Services
Syracuse University
201 Machinery Hall
Syracuse, New York
13244

Voice: 315.443.5772
Email: jsgluck () syr edu

sob () HARVARD EDU 01/08/04 12:59PM >>>
=3D=3D> The special characters {}<>+~^% are not allowed.=20

why?

=3D=3D> The password must be 7 or 8 characters.=20

rather than longer than 7 characters?  (its a real pain to truncate
a string when there is no real need)

Scott