Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: Jane Drews <jane-drews () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:11:37 -0600

We've had a password policy in place for a couple years which recommends
password changes at least twice in a calendar year, along with other
requirements (no clear text passwords, etc).  We now have a project underway
for our Enterprise Authentication Service to implement stronger password
controls, including password aging for all (instead of some) accounts.
Because EAS services a variety of critical apps (student, medical, HR, etc),
we've had to consider audit as well as regulatory compliance issues.

Jane Drews

IT Security Officer

The University of Iowa

  _____