Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: Paul Younker <Paul.Younker () GREENVILLE EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:35:59 -0600

We eliminated password aging 2-3 years ago because we also had
determined that forced password changes reduce rather than enhance
security. We found that many faculty had their password written down,
several in clear sight. Also, most passwords became a simple word
followed by a sequence number that the user would increment whenever
they were forced to change passwords. We now encourage much stronger
passwords that aren't forced to change and are determining at what level
we want to enforce password strength.

Paul Younker
Associate Director of Information Technology
Greenville College
Greenville, IL

618.664.7072
618.664.7080 fax
paul.younker () greenville edu

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams