Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: "Monday, Kathy" <kmonday () RICHMOND EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:21:57 -0500

The University of Richmond has a password aging policy that requires users
to change their password twice a year, once during the fall and once during
the spring semester.   Email notifications are automatically sent to remind
individuals when it is time to change their password.  We divide the
population up into groups by account name and schedule their expiration
dates throughout the semester - avoiding the starting and ending weeks and
some key dates.   Requiring people to change passwords is not popular but is
grudgingly accepted.   We provide examples/suggestions on how to set strong
passwords that are more "easily" remembered and warn individuals against
writing them down.

http://oncampus.richmond.edu/is/policy/password_aging_policy.htm
<http://oncampus.richmond.edu/is/policy/password_aging_policy.htm>

We also have programs in place that enforce strong passwords.

Kathy Monday

University of Richmond