Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: Brian Reilly <reillyb () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:16:50 -0500

Stewart,

We have a university-wide password standard (online at
http://security.georgetown.edu/passwords.html), which was essentially
enabled by our information security policy.  We currently do not require
password aging as a part of our password guidelines, but certain systems
do require it.  We may opt to require password aging in the future, but as
Scott commented (and similar to routine forced password changes), one can
make a case that it has a negative effect on password strength.

--Brian

Brian Reilly, CISSP
University Network Security Officer
Georgetown University, UIS