Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: Jenny Gluck <jsgluck () SYR EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:56:23 -0500

We have a central account management system that manages the passwords on LDAP and NIS directories. We plan to
provision NDS and AD in the future. We identified the following rules for our system.

==> The password must be 7 or 8 characters.

==> At least 4 characters must be different, and there cannot be consecutive repeats of characters.

==> The password must include at least one lowercase letter, one number, one uppercase letter, and one non-alphanumeric
character.
(For example, aab!ccd!, aab!ccd#, and a*a*a*a* would fail, but Abc!jk1!, D1ngd!ng, and B*12fr*g would pass.)

==> The special characters {}<>+~^% are not allowed.

==>  A dictionary check that goes down to 2 letter words being checked against a dictionary of words is in place. (We
may weaken this to 3 letter words.)

==> We do not use password aging at this time.

Jenny