Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: "Alexander Sarras (SEA)" <Alexander.Sarras () sea ericsson se>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 12:37:34 +0200

Well, most times an exploits gets into the wild before a patch. Now a
lot of machine can be infected, and even patching take up some time.
What should the your security expert, sysadmin, whoever the poor sods
are, DO with those oddballs which got a counter worm. Wait for a
counter-counter-patch, reinstall everything, try to remove the
greenie manually. Whatever it is it takes up time and resources which
in the end equals money!
It's not going to make living easier for admins if smearcases start
to release counter-virii in to the wild.

In my book a virus is a virus is a virus is A BAD THING (tm) !
And if I happen to find the originator I'd probably be inclined to
tie up his or her resources, preferably to some convenient 200ft
cliff, where the RN runs target practice!

Sorry, I'm very _strongly_ against it.
SaS
- --
Dr. Alexander Sarras
Product Unit Enterprise Communication Systems
Ericsson Enterprise AB

Tel:   +43/1/811 00 4668
Fax:   +43/1/811 00 11 4668