Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Kev <klmitch () MIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 09:36:36 -0400

Okay I may be wrong on this, but I read somewhere that the FBI is
actually trying to contact the owners of 6000 computers to inform them
that they have been infected.  Wouldn't this kind of "good worm" screw
that up?  And I can't believe after all this media hype and after all
these advisories and discussions, that there are still some people out
there that aren't aware that their system is infected.  But I'm sure it
will get better...even NT admins run windozeupdate from time to time,
which I heard patches the bug.  Just my $0.02 :-D

Unfortunately, all the world's not the USA (much to the chagrin of many
of my fellow citizens, it seems).  Also, there are many, many, many
clueless admins out there; anybody that has to deal with script kiddies
knows just how often Korean (for instance) hosts are broken into and used
for all sorts of nefarious purposes.  90% of the time, I'm unable to even
report spam to the open relays in that country, because not only is
postmaster@ not even present, the contacts listed in whois.nic.or.kr just
point into never-never land.  I fear we will never see the end of this
particular problem :/
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <klmitch () mit edu>