Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: fooling hubs [ARP Spoofing]

From: christophervincent () STMARKSSCHOOL ORG (Vincent; Christopher)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:40:48 -0500

Mediaone (bought by Road Runner) authenticates its users by the MAC of the
ethernet card that the cable modem is connected to.  The tech that installed
mine used a portable cable modem and his laptop to install it.  He hooked
his laptop/nic/cable modem (it is a LANCity, like mine) up to the network
and opened an app that lets you modify the database of customers.  It looked
to me like he was connected to a router of some sort (with a gui made by
Mediaone) that also programed your MAC into M1s database.  If you plug the
cable modem into another ethernet card it will not work.  I dont thing that
the actual cable modem is denying the service, but rather whatever your
cable modem is talking to.  If I programed the MAC of one of my spare NICs
to that of that one that M1 knows I have, i bet it will work.  If I program
it to the MAC of my friends, i bet that it will think that I am my friend!
Now, M1 doesnt have a download limit / cap (its has a speed cap at 1.5mbps
down and 356kbps up) so it would not serve any purpose other than discovery
on how M1 actually authenticates.  The only danger that it could pose to
spoof my friends MAC is that some M1 websites let you change your e-mail
password and some e-mail settings, and they used (last time I checked) to
authenticate by the cable modem you were on.

One more note about the tech that installed mine, he pluged his laptop in
and typed in the MAC of my network card, then he just pulled out the new
cable modem and pluged it in.  The cable modem was not programed at all, it
was just pulled out of the box and un-shrink-wraped.  The modem itself could
be considered "dumb", and has nothing to do with tracking your stats.

-Chris