Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: fooling hubs [ARP Spoofing]

From: shawn.a.clifford () LMCO COM (Clifford, Shawn A)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:11:54 -0500

Hmmm... Road Runner must do something different on the Time Warner Cable
system here in Orlando, Florida.

First, the tech never installed the (crappy) software on my computer,
because I already had DHCP turned on and once I kicked the service it
grabbed an IP address just fine.  The tech told me the software sucks, so I
have never bothered to install it.

Two, I have a hub hanging off of the cable modem and I have two computers
DHCP'ing through the cable modem just fine.  They both run simultaneously.
One is NT the other is 98SE.  Throughput doesn't seem to be degraded on
either machine while doing "parallel" downloads.  And the addresses are in
the same broadcast domain, which happens to be a 9-bit broadcast mask (ie.
subnet mask = 255.255.254.0).  I've heard from someone else at my work that
he has a 7-bit broadcast mask (subnet = 255.255.255.128).  Weird.  Guess it
is a much smaller switch in his neighborhood.

So, the switches here, anyway, are configured and are capable of handling
multiple MAC addresses per port.

-- Shawn