tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should we enable IPv6 support by default?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:22:43 -0800

Carter Bullard wrote:
I think the point is that you shouldn't have routines that are 'inherently'
limited to IPv4 addresses, if you support IPv6.

Removing pcap_lookupnet() would break source and binary compatibility. I suppose libpcap 1.0 could, in theory, break both, so we could perhaps get rid of pcap_lookupnet().

Tcpdump is still using pcap_lookupnet().

It's doing so in order to:

1) implement the "-f" flag, to determine what network addresses are "foreign";

2) pass a netmask to pcap_compile() so that it can implement "ip broadcast".

Both of those are IPv4-specific; "-f" applies only to IPv4 addresses, and there is no "ip6 broadcast". Whether it's worth eliminating those features in a world where both IPv4 and IPv6 are used is another matter.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.