tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should we enable IPv6 support by default?

From: Gert Doering <gert () greenie muc de>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:34:14 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 03:37:05AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
It's 2008.  Should we enable IPv6 support by default in libpcap and
tcpdump (as long as the OS supports IPv6 to a sufficient extent that we
can compile the support in), and let users do "--disable-ipv6" if, for
whatever reason, they don't want it?

I would certainly appreciate that.

What is the reason for having optional IPv6 in the first place (besides
OSes that don't provide all necessary header files)?  Memory savings?

gert

--
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert () greenie muc de