tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should we enable IPv6 support by default?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:48:59 -0800

Carter Bullard wrote:
Are you going to make it so that the routines in inet.c, such as add_addr_to_iflist()
and pcap_lookupnet() can work with IPv6 addresses?

add_addr_to_iflist() appears to work with IPv6 addresses on my OS X 10.4.11 machine, as pcap_findalldevs() finds the IPv6 addresses for my loopback adapter. It also appears to work on my Ubuntu 7.10 virtual machine; on what platforms does it fail?

pcap_lookupnet() is an API that is inherently IPv4-based (it's defined to take two pointers to 32-bit integers as arguments through which it returns the network and mask information); applications that need IPv6 information should fetch it themselves with, for example, pcap_findalldevs().
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.