tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should we enable IPv6 support by default?

From: Carter Bullard <carter () qosient com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:06:28 -0500

Are you going to make it so that the routines in inet.c, such as add_addr_to_iflist()
and pcap_lookupnet() can work with IPv6 addresses?

Carter

On Feb 6, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Gert Doering wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:09:33AM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
What is the reason for having optional IPv6 in the first place (besides OSes that don't provide all necessary header files)? Memory savings?

ISTR there were some "funnies" on some OSes where IPv6 was "pre- enabled"
but not actually enabled unless something else was added.

tcpdump is not actually *doing* any IPv6. All it does is "read packets, print their contents". Which is completely independent of the question
"will the operating system provide IPv6 support?".

It's not like tcpdump is trying to actually *use* IPv6.

(I can do tcpdump to look at "spanning tree" packets. Or Cisco CDP. Neither
is supported in my operating system...)

gert
--
                                                          //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert () greenie muc de

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.