tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: supporting extend 'open live capture' parametes

From: "Abeni Paolo" <paolo.abeni () telecomitalia it>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:55:16 +0100

hello,

on Tue 2/5/2008 9:57 PM Guy Harris wrote:
I need to add:
      a routine to check whether you *can* set monitor mode, for the benefit
of, for example, Wireshark (so it could display a "use monitor mode"
checkbox iff you can run with it on or off);
[...]
      a routine to ask what channels are available.

I thought that such things (pcap API to ask for supported parameters) could be implemented adding dedicated fields into
the pcap struct (on in a pcap_t sub structure), which must be set by the platform specific pcap_activate(). I think
this way the whole code should result more compact/simple. Specifically the pcap_activate implementation will grow with
complexity, while everything else will have a very simple implementation. This should also avoid the necessity to do
some real/platform specific work into the pcap_create() call in order to reduce duplicate checks into the
pcap_get_xxxx() APIs. What do you think ?!?

cheers,

Paolo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If
you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it
immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to
webmaster () telecomitalia it.

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it