tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should we enable IPv6 support by default?

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:09:33 -0800

Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 03:37:05AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:

It's 2008. Should we enable IPv6 support by default in libpcap and tcpdump (as long as the OS supports IPv6 to a sufficient extent that we can compile the support in), and let users do "--disable-ipv6" if, for whatever reason, they don't want it?

I would certainly appreciate that.

What is the reason for having optional IPv6 in the first place (besides
OSes that don't provide all necessary header files)?  Memory savings?

ISTR there were some "funnies" on some OSes where IPv6 was "pre-enabled" but not actually enabled unless something else was added. HP-UX 11.0 comes to mind in that regard. At this point though, given that HP-UX 11.0 is well past its EOL date, so long as there is a --disable-ipv6 and it is reasonably well documented in places someone would be likely to look if a compile failed, IPv6 by default should be fine.

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.