tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:00:00 -0400

Stephen Donnelly wrote:
When capturing network data at hundreds of megabytes per second for extended periods and hence dealing with hundreds of gigabytes of captured data at a time, even 33% overhead is very expensive in storage space and disk bandwidth, as well as the cpu time required to perform XML output with base-64 encoding.

This is why my interest in the new format is to encourage keeping the fixed overhead per packet record small. This can be done by a) keeping per-packet meta data optional where possible, and b) keeping space efficiency in mind when encoding per packet (meta)data.

It can also be done by using your own personal file format for your actually quite rare application of long time-period, high-bandwidth capturing. I don't see why the general format would be tailored to this application. Most people aren't interested in saving off a whole OC48 for any period of time. The more usual use is to try to identify problems with specific protocols, or perform IDS functions. In these cases, people are more interested in saving selected packets and metadata.

Another thing you might do with your own high-bandwidth capture format would be to design it to facilitate merging streams from multiple capture sources, which you might split up using a toplayer or similar box. Again, this is not an application for the general tcpdump user pop.

It may well be true that for analysis XML is useful either internally for processing, or for results, but libpcap is primarily about packet capture.

I disagree, at least in the sense in which you appear to mean this. libpcap includes BPF and the pcap expression compiler, which are about packet filtering. And remember that this is the tcpdump-workers list.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.