tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: Christian Kreibich <christian () whoop org>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:56:36 -0700

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 16:09, Jefferson Ogata wrote:

Something keeps bugging me, and I just want to throw it out there for
the mad dogs to tear into little bloody pieces:

Given all the desirable options people are looking for in this, and the
need for future growth, I think we should seriously consider an
XML-based format. Besides making it easy, format-wise, to include many
optional features and types of metadata, programs could also embed
decoded frame and protocol information in appropriate elements, right
within the capture file.

[xml snipped]

Yes, fully fledged decoded captures would use a lot of extra disk, but a
raw no-frills capture could be recorded with maybe only 50% or so overhead.

Processors using xslt or custom code could pull out just what they're
interested in using XPath expressions. Decoders for specific application
protocols could be written as filters to produce decoded elements in the
output XML.

And so on... mull it over for a minute before you start shredding.

Are you suggesting an xml-based pcap, or xmlified tcpdump output?

If you mean the former, I think the problem with this approach is that
in order to be able to write out a file in the first place, the
structure of the packet content has to be understood by libpcap (so that
it knows to write "<ip vers='4' hlen='20' ... flags='0x04' ...
proto='17'>" etc) -- then the question becomes what to do with unknown
protocols etc.

I think what you're proposing should be provided by an xmlified tcpdump,
but not the capture library.

Regards,
Christian.