tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:03:00 +1200

Jefferson Ogata wrote:
50% extra space and 50% extra disk bandwidth cost? So my 250
Megabyte per second
pcap stream to disk becomes 375MB/s?

Raw packet data would typically be base64-encoded. This expands data by 33%; three octets become four. You don't have to write one octet as two.

In any case, if you're trying to capture every packet off the wire, you might not want to use the newer binary pcap format under discussion either. It's looking to impose some not insignificant overhead as well.

When capturing network data at hundreds of megabytes per second for extended periods and hence dealing with hundreds of gigabytes of captured data at a time, even 33% overhead is very expensive in storage space and disk bandwidth, as well as the cpu time required to perform XML output with base-64 encoding.

This is why my interest in the new format is to encourage keeping the fixed overhead per packet record small. This can be done by a) keeping per-packet meta data optional where possible, and b) keeping space efficiency in mind when encoding per packet (meta)data.

It may well be true that for analysis XML is useful either internally for processing, or for results, but libpcap is primarily about packet capture.

Stephen.