tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:43:51 +1200

Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
Yes, fully fledged decoded captures would use a lot of extra disk, but a
raw no-frills capture could be recorded with maybe only 50% or so
overhead.

50% extra space and 50% extra disk bandwidth cost? So my 250 Megabyte per
second pcap stream to disk becomes 375MB/s?

I would be extatic if the captures people send to me would be tiny 250
MByte.
Some people work with captures that are 1GByte in size and bigger.

If you read my email again, you will notice I said 250 megabytes per second. This is an expression of a data rate, not a file size. The captured file size will be determined by the rate, multiplied by the capture time. E.g. 250MB/s * 24 hours.

Stephen.