tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:38:13 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Loris Degioanni, sie wrote:
Today, some people might want MD-5, others SHA-1 and in the future,
there may be other hashing algorithms that are better to use.  And
there are times when we might want it off (algorithm 0, for example.)

As such, I believe this option should be a (type,value) pair, if we
can agree that the hash value in the option header is a hash over the
entire record returned by the kernel (with the value of the hash set
to 0.)  And yes, the kernel computes the hash.

I agree, but since we a are trying to define a standard, we probably want to
define a default hashing method. The main reason is that I don't think we'll
be able to include in libpcap (and possibly the capture drivers) the support
for 6 or 7 different methods, so maybe we could choose one.

On the contrary, it's a trivial matter, really, to add more.

Is there a "default" hashing method for SSL ?
Or IPSec ?
Or S/MIME ?
No.

In each case the specification defines support for a number of different
hashes, of varying strengths and the choice is left to the end user to
decide on what they wish to use.  I don't see why libpcap should be any
different.

Darren
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.