tcpdump mailing list archives

Mysteriously stops...

From: Norman Elton <wnelto () net wm edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:56:49 -0400

We've got a system running RedHat Enterprise WS 3.1, kernel 2.4.21-9.0.1, running tcpdump 3.7.2 and libpcap 0.7.2. When I run a tcpdump (tcpdump -i eth2 -nne), things run fine for about two minutes, then the dump mysterious stops, as if I killed it using Control-C. It reports the number of packets analyzed and drops, and returns me to the command line.

Needless to say, I didn't ask the dump to stop! This doesn't happen on other boxes, but it does happen on other interfaces on the same server running the Intel e100 driver. A card running e1000 doesn't seem to have any problems.

I'm at a loss for ideas. Is there a valid reason why a tcpdump would stop without my telling it to do so?

Thanks,

Norman