Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them? Nobody?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:54:32 -0400

On 3/21/2011 3:46 PM, Jason Wallace wrote:
No, it makes it easier to combine them, in my opinion, because then we
could pick and chose between the ET distributed GPL rules and the VRT
distributed rules. That is not possible today, because they use the
same SID and most rule management tools are SID driven so you can't
enable/disable a SID without SID duplication. The no-gpl model
requires a user to either use VRT+ET-no-gpl, just the VRT, or just the
ET set. We can't chose to use one gpl rule from the VRT and another
gpl rule from ET, because the two can't exist at the same time.

Well, in the old oinkmaster days + snort.conf, you just include the
rules you wanted.

With pulledpork and the "big blob" rules, the SID independence is a
bigger factor.

Jeff