Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them?Nobody?

From: "Weir, Jason" <jason.weir () nhrs org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:45:50 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: emerging-sigs-bounces () emergingthreats net
[mailto:emerging-sigs-bounces () emergingthreats net] On Behalf
Of Matthew Jonkman
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 3:23 PM
To: Jason Wallace
Cc: emerging-sigs () emergingthreats net; Snort-Users; Mike Lococo
Subject: Re: [Emerging-Sigs] [Snort-users] GPL rules - who
maintains them?Nobody?

But fork and re-sid makes it tough for folks to combine the
open ruleset with VRT.

I'd say let us users worry about that - plenty of overlap already to
deal with..  Snort (any IDS) takes lots of care and feeding, I think
we're use to that - especially if we choose to run competing rule
sets...

That'd be easiest for us long term, but doesn't make it easy
for us to do the no-gpl rulesets.

If folks are happy with not being able to easily combine with
VRT then we can go that direction.

Matt

I'd also say do what's best long term for the ruleset..  Remember
good\easy\fast pick 2...

During the fork, I'd rename and drop the GPL tag so those with
pulledpork can do a pcre:GPL and automatically disable them on the VRT
side of things.

-J