Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them? Nobody?

From: NA <dustypath () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:10:52 -0700

On 3/21/11 4:12 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 3/21/2011 15:23, Matthew Jonkman wrote:
But fork and re-sid makes it tough for folks to combine the open ruleset with VRT.

That'd be easiest for us long term, but doesn't make it easy for us to do the no-gpl rulesets.

If folks are happy with not being able to easily combine with VRT then we can go that direction.
please see my earlier response RE: everyone carry the GPL in a special rules set
file so that those who want to include it in their operations can enable it in
their configs and everyone else can (leave them) disable(d) in their's...

After reading this thread for the last 4 days this suggestion makes the
most sense. With this idea there could even be two sets of GPL rules. A
user could enable one or the other, or neither.
My opinion is that of someone new to Snort, still tuning (still learning
to tune!), and rules are something I depend on, not attempt to write
yet. You could though easily equate my situation with a rushed admin.

.02
Bill B

NA=noob advocate?  ;-)