Snort mailing list archives

RE: SNMP Support in FreeBSD

From: Keith Long <keith.long () air2web com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:41:01 -0400

All right, I nuked and paved with a vanilla 4.8 stable installation.  I
updated the ports and installed autoconf, automake, and net-snmp from ports.
Then I installed the snort 2.0.2 port.  As before everything went smoothly
except for snmp support.  After building the port I looked at plugbase.c and
did not see the snmp output plugin.  At any rate I took your reply at face
value, I mean really and honestly this should be easy, and so I gave it a
try.  I added the following line to my snmp.conf.

output trap_snmp: alert, 1, trap -v 2c -p 162 nms-mydomain.com supersecret

And I get the following error when starting snort.

ERROR: unknown output plugin: trap_snmpFatal Error, Quitting..

1) Is there a way to 'patch' the port for the snmp plugin?
2) How can I avoid the aclocal errors previously mentioned when building
from source code.

I am not trying to be difficult.  All I want is snort with snmp support in
FreeBSD.