Snort mailing list archives

RE: More sid 1841

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:00:34 -0600

If I understand the rules docs correctly (and there's no guarantee that
I do), the depth parameter is measured from the beginning of the
payload, not from the beginning of a previous content search

So something like this wouldn't work, right?

content:"javascript\://"; nocase; content:"\\n"; depth:255;

Can you use regexp wild cards like this?

content:"javascript\://*\";

Or better yet, like this?

content:"javascript\://*{255}\n";

And should we take this discussion to the snort-sigs list?  (I'm ccing
it just in case we should.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas