Snort mailing list archives

RE: More sid 1841

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:52:04 -0600

Thanks for the clarification, Matt.  Did I misunderstand the exploit?  I
*thought* it was the backslash at the end of the javascript call that
was causing the problem.  The exploit example has:
"javascript://{url-here}\n".  I didn't catch that the problem was the
two forward slashes at the beginning of the string.

BTW, not to be picky, but this rule is *not* marked EXPERIMENTAL.  It's
in the web-client.rules file, and there's no indication that it is an
experimental rule.  Also, I'd take issue with your statement that it is
"an unusual, but safe, piece of javascript".  It's apparently pretty
common practice.  Just one site trips that rule enough times to make the
top fifteen source destinations for alerts, and *that* site I *know* is
not doing anything "evil".  That one rule accounts for 5% of the total
alerts in acid - some 15,253 alerts over 10 days.

I guess I'll disable it.  :-(

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas