Snort mailing list archives

RE: More sid 1841

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:27:10 -0500

Yes, you are correct, the \n needs to be part of the exploit, however the size of {url-here} is arbitrary. Snort is a simple pattern matcher, so it has no way of stating "look for "javascript://" followed by a "\n" somewhere before a quote character". Which is the only way of doing it that's not subject to false positives.

I suppose the code could make some bad assumptions and assume a domain is no longer than 100 bytes, and look for a \n within 100 bytes of javascript://. That's an improvement to the rule, but not a flawless fix, as now an attacker can just insert padding to get around setting off the alert.

As far as the "not experimental" statement, I find that interesting, what version of snort do you have?

In the latest non-experimental full-release version of snort, 1.9.0, it's in the experimental.rules not the web-client.rules and the text message starts with EXPERIMENTAL.

If you are running some version of snort from the snapshots, then your whole copy of snort is experimental.