Secure Coding mailing list archives

"Building" conferences (was: informIT: Building versus Breaking)

From: Martin Gilje Jaatun <secse-chair () sislab no>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:59:59 +0200

Karen Goertzel wrote:

 There are these:

 ISC(2) Secure Software Conference Series - >

 https://www.isc2.org/PressReleaseDetails.aspx?id=650

 ESSoS - http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/essos/2012/

 SecSE - http://www.sintef.org/secse

 SSIRI - http://paris.utdallas.edu/ssiri11/

All conferences are not created equal - ESSOS, SecSE and SSIRI are all academic, peer-reviewed conferences/workshops, and probably do not have the same "sex appeal" as BlackHat. Even in academic communities it seems that there are few that appreciate the difference between "security features" and "secure features" (judging by some submissions we get to SecSE).

[...]
 conferences. I'm in the process of updating some research on how and

 where software security assurance is being taught by colleges and

 universities, and what I'm finding is that the topic has been pretty

 much marginalised into an aspect of information assurance - i.e., it's

 being taught mostly to postgraduates who are majoring in IA and

I think you're right - to take our local university, NTNU; they have a course on software security, but it's an elective offered to postgraduates in the final year before they start their MSc thesis, which probably means that only those students who already have a special interest in security will choose it.

-Martin