Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: informIT: Building versus Breaking

From: "Sergio 'shadown' Alvarez" <shadown () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:01:36 +0200

Hi gem,

I've read your article to see what direction you were willing to take, before jumping into the conversation. Your post
was exactly what I thought you were heading to.

I disagree with your thought for many reasons.

But first I would like to use proper terms so that we don't misuse some vocabulary:

You said: """Software security should be a balanced approach of offense and defense (white hat and black hat, if you
will)"""

Whitehat: reports what he/she has found. Network vulenerabilities, software security flaws, flawed crypto, design
flaws, or whatever it is that the individual found it was broken or wrong.

Blackhat: doesn't report what he/she found, because she/he want to keep it that way.

Of course there are a lot of grays out there too.

Defense is…well... defense.

To design and build proper software and hardware there are a lot of conferences out there, as well as trainings and a
huge amount of literature. There are very good books when it comes to secure software development.

Every year what is presented, in the best security conferences, are new techniques that developers need to be aware of
in order to build secure products. Most of the presentations talk about things that were wrongly designed and/or
corner-cases which were not considered.

There are also a lot of tools and libraries which help development teams to do things right, specially libraries and
templates like Microsoft Safeint as well as the safe APIs, which prevent developers from shooting themselves.
They just need to use them. There are also managed languages, APIs to handle SQL securely, etc. It is just that a lot
of developers don't use what is available to them.

Blackhat is great as it is now, there are talks about new defense technologies from time to time too. Having more talks
about defense would be use, in my opinion, to sale products than anything else. I don't believe it would do any good to
Blackhat.

"""I am not opposed to breaking stuff (see "Exploiting Software" from 2004), but I am worried about an overemphasis on
breaking stuff."""

Blackhat IS about breaking stuff, the vendors area offers defense products and services to improve your security. For
building stuff (as in development) there are other conferences out there. People go to Blackhat to be aware of what
things might go wrong in order to protect better themselves. And even then many good talks overlap unfortunately.

Regards,
  Sergio