Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: informIT: Building versus Breaking

From: "Kevin W. Wall" <kevin.w.wall () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:43:57 -0400

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com> wrote:
hi sc-l,

I went to Blackhat for the first time ever this year (even though I am
basically allergic to Las Vegas), and it got me started thinking about
building things properly versus breaking things in our field.  Blackhat
was mostly about breaking stuff of course.  I am not opposed to breaking
stuff (see "Exploiting Software" from 2004), but I am worried about an
overemphasis on breaking stuff.

After a quick and dirty blog entry on the subject
<http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/2011/08/09/building-versus-breaking-a-white-hat-goes-to-blackhat/>, I sat down