Secure Coding mailing list archives

informIT: Building versus Breaking

From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:16:34 -0400

hi sc-l,

I went to Blackhat for the first time ever this year (even though I am basically allergic to Las Vegas), and it got me
started thinking about building things properly versus breaking things in our field.  Blackhat was mostly about
breaking stuff of course.  I am not opposed to breaking stuff (see "Exploiting Software" from 2004), but I am worried
about an overemphasis on breaking stuff.

After a quick and dirty blog entry on the subject
<http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/2011/08/09/building-versus-breaking-a-white-hat-goes-to-blackhat/>, I sat down