Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: informIT: Building versus Breaking

From: iarce <iarce () corest com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 13:05:37 -0300

On 9/1/11 2:29 AM, Stephen Craig Evans wrote:
Sergio,

"Blackhat IS about breaking stuff, the vendors area offers defense
products and services to improve your security. For building stuff (as
in development) there are other conferences out there. People go to
Blackhat to be aware of what things might go wrong in order to protect
better themselves."

I really take offense to your comment.

I am seeing malware out in the field that is based on work by
so-called noble "security researchers".

My litmus test is: If there were no whitehats and security
researchers, would we be better off at fighting the bad guys?

My answer is emphatically "yes".

That is the kind of reply and opinion that very rapidly leads these
debates to very divisive arguments.

First you are taking offense then your are pejoratively dismissing other
peoples work (by generically putting the quality or motivation of their
work in question) and finally saying that you'd be better off if a whole
community of people did not exist. Replace "security researchers" with
any other collective and your statement would read very very nasty

What I hate is that "security researchers" and the "white hats" try to
present themselves as noble and as the good guys. It's f*cking
bullsh*t and a total scam. Ten years later for me and the state of
infosec is much worse.

Hmm I wonder if I should take offense of that statement? You question
the motivations and honesty of an entire group of people and imply
they're responsible for an alleged degradation in the state of infosec.

There is also a nasty faction of infosec that will never want to solve
problems which will put themselves out of work. Yep, I am throwing
down that gauntlet FWIW.

Stephen, it is way past the time - it was 10 years go too- for people in
the infosec community that claim to have an interest in improving the
state of infosec to move away from confrontational stances and bigotry
and to engage with the offensive security community in a constructive
manner, putting prejudices aside and without invoking a moral high
ground that they've not been given by divine intervention.

Personally, I would be glad to put you out of work. Unfortunately I
can't do it alone.

sincerely,
-ivan

--