Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: informIT: Building versus Breaking

From: "Goertzel, Karen [USA]" <goertzel_karen () bah com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:41:47 +0000

There are these:

ISC(2) Secure Software Conference Series - https://www.isc2.org/PressReleaseDetails.aspx?id=650

ESSoS - http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/essos/2012/

SecSE - http://www.sintef.org/secse

SSIRI - http://paris.utdallas.edu/ssiri11/

But your point is taken. Most of the conferences in this domain appear to be outside the U.S. I'm not sure what THAT
says about U.S. attitudes about software assurance (though I have my suspicions).

More important is the question of who actually attends these conferences. I'm in the process of updating some research
on how and where software security assurance is being taught by colleges and universities, and what I'm finding is that
the topic has been pretty much marginalised into an aspect of information assurance - i.e., it's being taught mostly to
postgraduates who are majoring in IA and related disciplines - rather than an aspect of software development. There are
exceptions, of course - but by and large that seems to be the trend. And I think the same is true of the conferences.
It's the security wonks who care about software assurance much more than the actual software developers. Take a look
at: http://zastita.com/index.php?det=64494

===
Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Booz Allen Hamilton
703.698.7454
goertzel_karen () bah com

Sorry, you have reached an imaginary number.
If you require a real number, please rotate
your phone by ninety degrees and try again.