Secure Coding mailing list archives

BSIMM update (informIT)

From: coley at linus.mitre.org (Steven M. Christey)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 01:46:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Brad Arkin wrote:

As a result, the count per ISV of bugs submitted to the Tipping Point
program is more of an indicator of what technology is popular in the
research community rather than how secure a product is.

Using anecdotal evidence from about 40,000 [sic] published CVEs over 10
years, I'd tend to agree - my impression is that the applied research
community is fickle, inconsistent, unpredictable, prone to fads, and far
from being a unified demographic.  (which in one way is a good thing
'cause it keeps things interesting.)

Did people know that a single person is responsible for a massive spike in
symlink discoveries in 2008?  Just 'cause he felt like looking for that
kind of problem, and he used his trusty grep program against a zillion
shell scripts in various Debian packages.  So, what we thought was a vuln
type that was mostly gone, isn't, because some guy decided to look for
'em.

Don't get me started on the 15-year-old kid who spent a maximum of 10
minutes on every downloadable/demo program he could find back in 2005 and
gave us vuln DB people nightmares during the winter of '05-'06, because
even though he wasn't skilled, many of his reports were correct.  His blog
post on his super-l33t method was illuminating, but it was a "r0tten" time
altogether.  Thankfully, he burned out and decided to go underground and
privately share his new findings instead of publishing them.

Once upon a time, people screamed about how Firefox was so much secure
because it had almost no security vulns, then the product hit some kind of
magic market-share number and suddenly they're releasing a couple dozen
advisories a year.  Coincidence?  Must be.

No need to mention the Oracle "unbreakable" promise and the near-immediate
counter-argument from a couple researchers.

I've heard more than once from some professional researchers that they
wouldn't be caught dead publishing an advisory about some generic XSS.
They only bother to publish stuff that's interesting.  I know there's some
science-y term for that kind of "publish only new stuff" phenomenon but I
forget what it is.

Format string vulns got identified and nearly wiped out in the course of a
couple years.  They were easy to find and fix, and they were fun to
exploit.  But that was 8 or 9 years ago so that's going back far enough.

You can't trust stats based on public vuln disclosures, period.

http://marc.info/?l=bugtraq&m=113650260502218&w=2

(I know, I know, it's more than 4 years old so that's ancient history in
Internet time and thus not worth paying attention to because everything
today is just so new and different! ;-))

My personal opinion, backed by no hard stats whatsoever, is to look at the
types of vulns that are disclosed as a slightly more reliable indication
of a vendor's maturity.  If you don't have a standard term for it and you
haven't seen it a hundred times before, then either it's a really, really
new technology that hasn't been explored by a lot of people, or the
developer has shaken the security tree pretty hard and removed the
low-hanging fruit.

- Steve