Secure Coding mailing list archives

Metrics

From: coley at linus.mitre.org (Steven M. Christey)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:59:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, McGovern, James F. (eBusiness) wrote:

One of the general patterns I noted while providing feedback to the
OWASP Top Ten listserv is that top ten lists do sort differently. Within
an enterprise setting, it is typical for enterprise applications to be
built on Java, .NET or other compiled languages where as if I were doing
an Internet startup I may leverage more scripting approaches. So, if
different demographics have different behaviors what would a converged
list or even a separate list tell us?

A converged list is useful for general recommendations to people who
haven't made their own custom lists.  The 2010 Top 25, due to be released
Feb 16, also considers alternate "Focus Profiles" with different
prioritizations to serve different use cases and get people thinking about
how to do their own prioritization.

The general list, meanwhile, captures what patterns may exist across all
participants - i.e., what everyone is most worried about.

- Steve