Secure Coding mailing list archives

BSIMM update (informIT)

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:02:09 -0500

Hi again Mike,

Yadda yadda, delay, and so on...

On 2/2/10 9:30 PM, "Mike Boberski" <mike.boberski at gmail.com> wrote:
<somebody eslse said> But the vast majority of clients I work with don't have the time or need or ability to >take
advantage of BSIMM

Mike's Top 5 Web Application Security Countermeasures:
1. Add a security guy or gal who has a software development background to your application's software >>development
team.

Dang, this would have saved Microsoft lots of money.  With 30,000 developers that security gal would have been pretty
busy though.

3. Build an Enterprise Security API (a.k.a. an ESAPI, e.g. OWASP's several different ESAPI toolkits) that is
specific to your solution stack and minimally provides input validation controls that use whitelists, output
encoding/escaping controls (optionally use parameterized interfaces for SQL), and authentication controls. >>Build
your ESAPI to target a specific level of overall security when all of your security controls are viewed as >>a whole
(e.g. an OWASP Application Security Verification Standard (ASVS) level).

Why do you believe that an ESAPI (which is a good idea) is the best place to start?  Why not training?  Why not pen
testing by Mike?  Etc.  This was not "job 1" in any firm I have been involved with.

4. Write a programming manual (i.e. a secure coding standard that is specific to your solution stack that is
organized by vulnerability type or security requirement with before and after code snippets, e.g. a >>cookbook that
provides before and after code snippets and links to API documentation) that contains step->>by-step instructions for
using your ESAPI to both proactively guard against vulnerabilities, and to act as a >>quick reference when the time
comes to make fixes.

Again.  How does this fit into a bigger picture?  The notion of code guidelines is a good one.  See [CR2.1] in the
BSIMM which 11 of 30 companies we observed carry out.  This was not "job 2" in any case I am aware of.  How about tying
such guidance to code review technology.  We've helped multiple clients do that.

How many customers have followed Mike's Way?  What are their results?  How do the Mike's Way customers score with the
BSIMM?

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet