Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:51:18 -0400

On Aug 25, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Olin Sibert wrote:
    Exploits are FUN.

I agree, at least to a point.  Whenever I work exploits into my
workshops, the results are right on the mark.  So long as the exploits
are balanced with just the right amount of remediations, it works great.

The key is to hook the students with the exploits, and then sprinkle
in a "now here's how to do it _right_" discussion while they're still
paying attention.  ;-)

And FWIW, I've found OWASP's WebGoat to be phenomenally effective at
doing just that.  There are other similar tools out there as well, but
the point is to give the class a safe sandbox to play in.

Cheers,

Ken

-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk
KRvW Associates, LLC
http://www.KRvW.com

(This email is digitally signed with a free x.509 certificate from
CAcert. If you're unable to verify the signature, try getting their
root CA certificate at http://www.cacert.org -- for free.)