Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: Jason.Bennett at thales-esecurity.com (Bennett, Jason)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:03:20 +0100

"So many mistakes have been made in
generations before mine that we are now trapped in a box of our own
making that has us squabbling over academic minutiae like how to teach
secure coding when we should not have to consider this topic at all -
the code itself should be inherently secure."

This is the comment that agrees with my own belief. When teaching "how to
program" secure coding should be seen as inherent in this and not as some
sort of optional add that is only required if the code is supposed to
"secure". Many of the techniques are just making the code more robust and
this covers a considerable amount of the problems with code today. I see no
reason that this shouldn't be taught as part of any programming course. Does
this cover all secure coding, no of course not, but unless the foundations
of secure implementation is inherent then more advance issues ar the least
of the communities worries.
Consider the environment before printing this mail.
"Thales e-Security Limited is incorporated in England and Wales with company
registration number 2518805. Its registered office is located at 2 Dashwood
Lang Road, The Bourne Business Park, Addlestone, Nr. Weybridge, Surrey KT15
2NX.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be
privileged. It is only intended for the stated addressee(s) and access to it
by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee or the
intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other
way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. Such
unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error
please delete it (and all copies) from your system, please also inform us
immediately on +44 (0)1844 201800 or email postmaster at thales-esecurity.com.
Commercial matters detailed or referred to in this e-mail are subject to a
written contract signed for and on behalf of Thales e-Security Limited".