Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: list-spam at secureconsulting.net (Benjamin Tomhave)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:27:30 -0700

Goertzel, Karen [USA] wrote:
We teach toddlers from the time they can walk that they shouldn't
play in traffic. A year or two later, we teach them to look both ways
before crossing the street. Even later - usually when they're
approaching their teens, and can deal with "grim reality", we give
examples that illustrate exactly WHY they needed to know those
things.

Actually, I'm not teaching my 1 yo toddler much of anything about
traffic right now. I'm more playing guardian when she runs around the
house and making sure she doesn't get into situations for which she
would be completely and totally unprepared (and in serious danger). She
lacks the language skills to even marginally understand basic concepts
like "street" let alone "don't play in the street." I think this rather
proves my point that secure coding is not itself a fundamental concept,
but rather an intermediate-to-advanced concept. Matt Bishop's comments
are great, but they've also been applied in a context of higher ed., and
recognize the limits of student understanding at different phases of
development.

-ben

But that doesn't mean we wait until the kids are 11 or 12 to tell
them shouldn't play in traffic.

There has to be some way to start introducing the idea even to the
rawest of raw beginning programming students that "good" is much more
desirable than "expedient", and then to introduce the various
properties that collectively constitute "good" - including security.

Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP Associate 703.698.7454
goertzel_karen at bah.com ________________________________________ From:
Andy Steingruebl [steingra at gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009
1:14 PM To: Goertzel, Karen [USA] Cc: Benjamin Tomhave;
sc-l at securecoding.org Subject: Re: [SC-L] Where Does Secure Coding
Belong In the Curriculum?

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Goertzel, Karen