Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: goertzel_karen at bah.com (Goertzel, Karen [USA])
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:40:04 -0400

We teach toddlers from the time they can walk that they shouldn't play in traffic. A year or two later, we teach them
to look both ways before crossing the street. Even later - usually when they're approaching their teens, and can deal
with "grim reality", we give examples that illustrate exactly WHY they needed to know those things.

But that doesn't mean we wait until the kids are 11 or 12 to tell them shouldn't play in traffic.

There has to be some way to start introducing the idea even to the rawest of raw beginning programming students that
"good" is much more desirable than "expedient", and then to introduce the various properties that collectively
constitute "good" - including security.

Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Associate
703.698.7454