Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: proposed pen-test

From: Terry Cutler <jedi31337 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:19:21 -0500

Hey John, I'm actually reproducing the Hack that was done on Google
called "Project Aurora" in a Keynot demo at Novell Brainshare. I'll be
using Core Impact 10 to do this. In essence what happens is that Core
installs a webserver instance on my PC and fires off an email to whom
ever you specify and FROM who ever you want. Now, core has some built
in HTML messages that look like the real deal such as Facebook and
Linkedin invitations. The point is to trick a user into clicking the
"Add me" link which forces IE or Firefox to open and get exploited. At
that point an encrytped session gets connected back to my PC running
the webserver.

From this point I can now browse the files on your Pc, or scan other
devices in your network from your PC being the source. I can then
launch network side attacks and exploit files servers etc....all while
bypassing your firewalls, IPS, IDS.  :)

So to me this is a VERY important test. The beauty with Core Impact is
that you can run a User report at the end that will highlight which
user clicked that link so that we can put them through security
awareness training.

If you want to see a demo of core, I have a 45 minute demo of it on my
website at http://www.terrycutler.com.   I also have a 2.5 hour live
demostration recorded where I use the product often called "Intro to
Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing.

Hope this helps !