Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: proposed pen-test

From: Eric Milam <emilam () coretechsg com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:44:43 -0800

I don't know if someone already pointed this out, but you are dealing
with enticement versus entrapment.

What you have described is entrapment, because as you state you are
offering "rewards" for the behavior.  You are working hard to induce the
behavior.

If you sent out an e-mail with a link to the new "University Social
Site" that would be fine, everything else from the Social Networking
site is copyright I am sure and you would need expressed permission from
them to use.  (Just look at the bottom of their homepage I am sure you
will see the CR)  If you do this, you guys could be in big trouble.

Send them the USB key with a note that says its free, but not to use on
school property is a better test.  Because you are flushing out the true
people who would do something like that no matter what.  Those are who
you really want to catch.  (Because users don't think they'll get caught
for something like that.)

Either way talk to your legal department before doing anything.  My
words are opinion, not recommendation.

Best of Luck,
Eric