Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: proposed pen-test

From: Steve Friedl <steve () unixwiz net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:28:57 -0800

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:43:20PM -0800, John Kinsella wrote:
I'll guarantee that real attackers won't worry about the legalities of
impersonation or using the postal service for fraud...who would sue in
the pentest example?

Nobody, because a pen-test is not *actual* fraud, and there is no
actual damage.

There are all kinds of Postal Service rules, such as it being illegal to
open somebody else's mail, but when you dig in, you find that opening
the mail of a previous resident for the purposes of tracking them down
or informing the sender, is NOT illegal.

Fraud requires an actual intend to defraud; saying "gotcha"
is not the same as defrauding.

This may draw some attention, but if you have your approvals in order
and you are scrupulous with not abusing any actual personal data you come
across, you'll be fine.

... and I suspect you'll get plenty of customers - please do let us know
if you try this.

Steve

---
Stephen J Friedl  | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  | 714 694-0494
steve () unixwiz net | Orange County, CA   | Microsoft MVP |  unixwiz.net

I doubt the social engineering network wants to
draw attention to the topic, and I'd hope they would appreciate using
the results to educate your users...I also suspect it's too small of a
fish to fry to the USPS...

John