Penetration Testing mailing list archives

proposed pen-test

From: John Grimes <john.k.grimes () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 11:03:31 -0800

Hi--

A consultant firm has recommended to my university's IT department
that we run the following pen-test:

We send, through regular mail, a letter to members of the staff and
faculty, that appears to come from a well-known social networking
site, that is, it uses a facsimile of the actual letterhead and
envelope of the site, including the correct return address. In this
letter, we invite the recipient to beta-test a new version of the
social networking site by using the program on the enclosed usb stick.
We offer a gift card to a major online retailer as further inducement.
If any staff member plugs in the usb stick, they will be told in a
pop-up window that they have been duped, and the fact will be logged
to a server at the university.

It seems to us that there are two potential legal problems here:
impersonating the social networking site, and using the US postal
service for a fraudulent, if well-intentioned, purpose. Can anyone
here comment on this?

Beyond the legalities, does this seem like an effective and worthwhile test?

Thanks for any insight.